- Visa P-1 for internationally famous sportsman and artists
- Visa P-2 for international exchange of artists
- Visa P-3 for unique cultural programs
- Visa P-4 — Spouses and minor kids
- Before applying for a P visa
- What kind of the potential problems could be happened when you applying for a P visa?
- Feeling the petitions
- Time terms and costs of P visa to the US
The visa for sportsman and artists in the US can be different categories, depending on the individual characteristics of your case and the specific purposes of the trip.
It can be obtained at the American Embassy by submitting documents and having an interview.
Visa P allows sportsman, artists to work temporarily in the US. Visas of this type are divided into the following groups:
- The P-1 visa is issued to professional sportsman who are traveling to the US individually or as part of a team, representatives of art and show business, as well as their personnel for participation in competitions, tours and other cultural performances of the international level. A prerequisite for obtaining a P-1 visa is that applicants must have international or international recognition and meet requirements similar to, but not sufficient for, an O-1 visa.
- The P-2 visa is intended for artistic collectives and their personnel who come to the US as part of a cultural exchange program.
- The P-3 visa is issued to people of creative specialties and their personnel who are sent to the US for performances (work) with a unique or ethnic cultural program.
- Spouses and children of P visa holders are eligible for a P-4 visa. This visa allows you to study, but does not give the right to work in the US.
Visa P-1 for internationally famous sportsman and artists
- To obtain a P-1 visa, the team, or the sportsman acting alone, must provide evidence of their national or international recognition;
- Visas for sportsmen acting individually are issued for up to 5 years with the possibility of repeated renewal. The maximum visa period for applicants of this category is 10 years. Sportsman performing in the team may be in the US as much as the competition continues, but not more than 1 year.
For representatives of show business:
- In order to obtain a P-1 visa, the artist must be part of a group that has international recognition and acts together for more than 1 year;
- To creative groups the visa is issued for the period of tours in the USA, but not more than for 1 year. It is possible to extend the visa for 1 year with a maximum term of being in the US no more than 10 years;
- Artists who performing individually, such visa is not granted.
A petition for a P-1 visa may be filed by an American employer, organization, foreign employer (with the participation of an American agent) and should include the following:
- a contract signed between an American employer and a visa applicant;
- clarification of the essence of the event and the route;
- consultation from a professional organization;
- the documentation confirming the international importance of the athlete, sports team or artistic group.
Visa P-2 for international exchange of artists
- P-2 visa allows artists and artists to enter the US through exchange programs between US and foreign organizations. The exchange takes place on conditions equal for both parties: the number of participants in groups and the duration of their trips should be the same;
- applicants must prove that they are popular and highly valued in the art;
- the petition is filed by an American professional organization that negotiated an exchange agreement, a sponsoring organization or an American employer;
- initially, the visa is issued for the period of tours. The validity of the visa, as a rule, does not exceed 1 year, but can be extended for another year.
Visa P-3 for unique cultural programs
- the P-3 visa is designed for artists, artists and entertainment professionals who perform with a unique program;
- this visa can also be received by people or groups that will act or work as teachers or trainers, representing an original and unique teaching method;
- applicants for a P-3 visa must be at least 18 years old and have international or national achievements in their field of activity;
- a petition for a P-3 visa requires the presence of an American sponsoring organization;
- the validity of the P-3 visa usually does not exceed 1 year, but it can be extended for another year, if necessary, to complete the work begun.
Visa P-4 — Spouses and minor kids
- Spouses and / or unmarried kids under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the main visa holder in the US for the duration of their stay receive P4 derivative visas;
- Spouses and / or kids, who plan only to visit the main visa holder during the vacation, rather than reside with him / her in the US, qualify for a B1 / B2 guest visa.
Before applying for a P visa
The applicant, his employer in the US must send a statement of employment conditions (LCA) to the Labor Department, confirming a number of facts, including the number of wages usually paid for the proposed position and the proposed working conditions.
The employer must then send the I-129 petition to the US Immigration Service (USCIS) and pay an additional fee for hiring P-3 workers unless the law provides for exemption from such a fee. An application for a visa can be submitted only after approval of this petition.
Visa holders of P category have the right to travel freely inside and outside the US.
What kind of the potential problems could be happened when you applying for a P visa?
- The interpretation of the term “cultural uniqueness” largely depends on the employee of the Citizenship and Immigration Service who is considering the petition;
- Logistical problems, such as urgent work, changes in the route, changes in the composition of the group;
- The limitations of the outdated views of the Citizenship and Immigration Service on sportsman, which leads to restrictions on new sports.
Feeling the petitions
The sponsor must submit a petition, Form I-129 to the US Immigration and Nationality Service (USCIS). For questions about eligibility criteria, you must contact the appropriate USCIS office for petitions.
To date, consular posts have the ability to access data on a petition for non-immigrant visas in a new report called PIMS (Information Management Service in Petitions).
Each adopted form of petition I-129 is tied to the main data on the petitioner, which allows you to track information about the petitioner to obtain a nonimmigrant visa and the information contained in the petition.
The PIMS electronic register is now the main source of information that will be used to verify the acceptance of the petition.
Time terms and costs of P visa to the US
You can get an American visa within 90 days. The process of preparing a package of documents takes about a week, and the rest of the time is spent processing your application at the embassy of the state and making decisions by its employees.
Sometimes, you can try to make a visa in the US more urgently, but for this, you need good reasons. In addition, this design will cost more than usual.
In general, the price of a visit permit depends on the complexity of your case and the level of support required. Consular fees and medical insurance are paid for each visa separately.