The Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status is used to obtain a Green Card (permanent resident status in the USA). The document consists of 18 pages with 42 instructions.
It should be filed by all immigrants who move to the United States (not at the consular department of their country). Those who cross the US border with an immigrant visa or a package of immigration documents received in the native state do not need to file this form (for example, persons who won the Green Card lottery or relatives of US citizens).
For those who were granted asylum in the US
To submit the form, you need a physical presence in the United States during the year from the moment you obtained refugee status.
Who is a refugee?
A refugee is a person who was forced to leave his homeland because of persecution, war or violence. These people are generally victims of ill-treatment connected with their religion, political views or race.
For those who immigrated with a “bridal” visa
Form I-485 must be sent after the official marriage. In addition to this, you need to fill out the Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support).
Terms of consideration
The document should be submitted only in the United States. The time of consideration of this petition depends on the way of immigration: 3-6 months for refugees, 6-9 months for wives and husbands of US citizens, 6 months for those who reunite the family.
How to fill out the Form I-485 for an Adjustment of Status
The documents what you need for a Green Card application
There are several requirements that the participants of the visa program must meet in order for their application Form I-485 to be accepted by the USCIS:
- Providing a birth certificate.
- Photocopies of each page of the passport, all immigration documents evidencing the maintenance of the applicant’s current status in the United States.
- Medical examination. You need to pass an examination with one of the certified USCIS doctors. You can find them on the official website. For brides, grooms and their children (visas K1, K2), it’s possible to supplement already fulfilled medical examination with certificates of vaccination.
- Legal information confirming the presence/absence of the applicant’s criminal records. Evidence: official statements of law enforcement agencies, judicial orders, the appointment of probation.
- Two identical color photos of the candidate made within 30 days before the application.
- Biographical information sheet. People of 14-79 years old must submit completed form G-325A.
- After the participant submits the Form I-485, USCIS notifies him about the place of providing biometric services (fingerprinting).
The document translation
All documents in any language other than English need to be translated. At the interview, it is necessary to have the originals of all the documents mentioned in the application. Papers with proofs should be submitted in high-quality copies with translation into English. The interpreter must certify that he knows both languages and that the translation is accurate. At the end of the interview, all originals will be returned to you.
Cost of filing the Form I-485
The state fee for the consideration of the immigration form is $ 1140. It is worth adding the payment for fingerprinting ($ 85). In total, you will have to spend $ 1225. The state duty will not be returned.
If you are 79+ years old, you do not need to pay for fingerprints. If children under 14 years old submit a form with one of the parents, they pay $ 750 for it.
Please pay attention to these useful tips in order to submit the application successfully:
- You need to fill everything accurately and correctly, sign the document on your own. If something was missed in the application for the Green Card, it can be rejected.
- Only copies – no originals.
- All docs must be attached before forwarding.
- If the police stopped you but just wrote out a fine (not more than $ 500), such cases should not be described in the fields intended for the info about arrests.
- There may be a request for additional documents or originals. Do not worry. Just send what is needed, even if this paper has already been submitted.
- You may be invited for an interview. Take the originals of the documents with you.
- In the case of receiving a Green Card, men from 18 to 26 years old will be automatically registered in the Selective Service System. They may be called to the military service in case of war.
- You can move abroad during the filing and after receiving the Green Card only with the refugee travel document. To get it, you need to submit the I-131 form. Traveling with the passport of the country which you left may lead to denial of citizenship.
We hope that this information was useful. Adhere to all the above tips and you will obtain permanent resident status in the USA without any hustle. Good luck!