Fiance Visa (K1)

  • Categories: US Visa
  • Tags: citizenship, Family Green Card, Family Visa, Fiance visa, Green Card, immigration, K 1 Visa, Permanent Residence, visa

While you organizing a trip to America for a wedding with your fiancé or bride, you should take care of her legality. Getting a visa to US is not a simple procedure, extremely important to go through this step, since it is the most correct and legal one to enter into a marriage with an USA citizen.

Moreover, the received K1 visa is not immigration, although it is easy to transfer to such a type, because in the future it is planned to move to the USA for permanent residence.

The K1 visa allows a foreign bride (groom) to legally enter the USA and within 90 days from the date of arrival to marry a US citizen (only to the one who filed a petition against you).

In connection with the recently changed legislation, now the same sex couples, can now apply for the visa of the bride/groom of the US.

The entire visa process for them is the same as for ordinary couples.

Every process of obtaining a visa for a bride American citizen can be divided into two stages:

  • The first stage is the preparation of documents for filing a petition for the visa of the bride and filling for fiance visa petition itself.
  • The second stage is the preparation of documents for the interview in the US Embassy, the very passage of the interview and the receipt of a visa for the bride.

After receiving the visa, they go: crossing the border, marrying in a timely manner, changing the status.

The first thing you and your American fiancé should start with is to file a petition for the fiance visa K1. A petition is a package of documents that you and your fiancé must provide to the USCIS.

What documents are needed to file a petition for the fiance K1 visa?

In fact, you need not so many documents:

  • I-129F Petition for alien fiancé (e) is the petition form for a bride visa that your fiancé (US citizen) must complete and sign. All questions in this forK1m are simple enough, concerning personal and biographical data of the bride and groom (nothing new will be for you there). Despite the fact that half of the questions concern the bride, this form is completed and signed only by the groom (US citizen). This form is accompanied by an official instruction where it says what documents and how much to collect, where to send, how much to pay.
    This K1 fiance visa form is completed in a single copy and is signed only by an American citizen. Signatures of the bride there — NO NEEDED.
  • G-325A, —biographic information
    This K1 visa application form is filled and signed personally by the bride and personally by the groom. Thus, to the petition you must attach two biographical forms.
    Your biographical form you sign and send the groom by mail. You can scan and send by e-mail, but you need to make sure that when your fiancé prints it, all the letters and the signature will be clearly visible. But all the same it will be more correct if you personally sign in the form.
  • G-1145 is the form in which your fiancé needs to write his name, phone number and email address in order to receive electronic notifications of the status of your case.
  • Evidence that your fiancé is a US citizen.
    A petition for a bride’s visa (K-1) can only be filed by an US citizen.
    To do this, he will have to provide proof of his US citizenship: attach copy his birth certificate (front and back) or copies of all US passport pages (even empty ones). If citizenship was obtained by naturalization, then provide a copy of the certificate of naturalization (front and back).
  • Letter of intent to marry
    USCIS requires that you and your fiancé be given letters of intent to marry within 90 days from the date of the arrival of the bride in the United States. You need to write two letters. From you, where you confirm that you are capable and intend to marry (the name of the groom) within 90 days after your arrival in the United States on a K-1 visa and a letter from your fiance, where he confirms that he is capable and intends to marry (your name) within 90 days of your arrival in the USA on a K-1 visa.
    The USCIS has no specific requirements for such a letter, just as there is no official form for such a letter, but as a rule all brides write the same pattern.
    Pay attention to the date format, first the month is specified, then the date, then the year — mm-dd-yyyy
    Note that in brides letter you use the word Fiancee (bride) with two-ee and in the letter from your groom the word Fiance (groom) is used with one –e, DO NOT TWIST.
  • Passport style photos
    The photo must be taken in the last 30 days before filling the petition. The photo must be no matte, have white background, without retouched and not mounted, the size of the photo 2×2 inch. Do not forget to sign your names and A number on each photo by pencil.
  • Certificate of divorce and / or death certificate of the spouse with translation into English (if its needed).
  • Evidence of personal meetings
    Personal photos of your couple, copies of all air tickets, trains, buses and all what proves that your fiancé come to you, will be great.
    Also attach copies of the reservation and invoices from the hotels, a copy of the visa on which your fiancé came to you.
  • Evidence of relationship
    Printing out your chats from social media and mail, screenshots from skype,greeting cards.
    Print out phone calls and messages, money transfers, gifts, etc.

Submit a petition

Before sending an envelope with a petition, compose a cover letter, where you describe what documents you send and order which you put the documents in an envelope.

If you send the envelope by the usual USPS mail service, send it to this address:

P.O. Box 660151
Dallas, TX 75266

If you send the envelope by express mail by USPS or courier service, then send to this address:

Attn: I-129F
2501 South State Highway 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

You sent the petition, what next

As soon as the USCIS officer receive your envelope and withdraw money from the check, a letter to your groom should receive a notification NOA 1 (Notice Of Action) that your petition for the faience visa has been accepted, your case has been assigned a number and is directed to further processing in one of the service centers.

A couple of days later, the official paper copy of this NOA 1 comes to your groom’s postal address.

Then you just wait for approval.

Approved Petitions are sent from the service centers to the NVC for further processing. At the stage of passing NVC, no action is required on your part, you only have to wait for the completion of the processing of documents. Processing takes place from a week to a month (as lucky).

When the petition is approved, the USCIS sends it to the US Consulate, where the visa application is filed. After that, the applicant receives instructions for preparation for the interview.

Then follows the standard procedure for issuing a visa:

  • filling in an electronic questionnaire,
  • payment of consular fees,
  • interview with a visa officer,
  • waiting for an answer on the K1 visa application.

The consular officer would ask your groom/bride about the character of your attitude, for example: how you met and when you decided to get married.

The law obliges the consular officer to ascertain the reality of your connection with the groom / bride, to make sure that you have met at least once during the last two years, and also that you really intend to marry your groom/bride within 90 days after his / her arrival in the USA.

The consular officer will carefully check everything to make sure that your groom/bride is eligible for a visa in the United States.

The most famous problems with obtaining a K1 visa

The K1 fiance visa is not easy to fil. For example, a petition submitted by the host party may be approved, but if the consulate officer doubts the legality of the relationship, they will send it for recall.

This happens when there is a big age difference between future husband and wife if the future spouses have not spent much time together, and also because of weak knowledge of English by the applicant, and the US citizen – native language of spouse.

Also, difficulties can appear if:

  • bride or groom has already submitted petitions for the K-1 visa;
  • the US citizen had problems with the law;
  • the father / mother of the minor child of the applicant does not agree to his immigration;
  • the applicant’s expartner will write to the embassy and declare that the relationship is still actual;
  • the future spouses met with help of an international marriage agency. In this case, additional information is needed;
  • the applicant and the host have not seen each other for a long period of time;
  • conviction in prostitution;
  • membership in a terrorist or other extremist organization;
  • violation of the visa regime in different country.

Given all of the above, we recommend you to give maximum attention to even small details when applying for a visa of the appropriate category, to exclude in the future unnecessary financial costs, as well as the loss of time that you could use for more best goals!