Before receiving a Green Card, immigrants wishing to work in the US must necessarily have Employment Authorization Card. This document is also the basis for getting a Social Security Number (SSN). It can be obtained by holders of immigration and some nonimmigrant visas.
A work permit is issued by the Citizenship and Immigration Services of the United States after filing a special Form I-765. It is a plastic card with personal data and an indication of its validity (1 year).
Who can obtain the work permit
The following categories of foreigners have the right to it:
- Refugees and persons granted asylum, their spouses, and children.
- People who seek asylum.
- International students who want to undergo facultative practical training in their profession.
- Applicants who apply for permanent resident status.
- People who applying for the status of a temporary refugee or having this status.
- Persons belonging to certain nationalities (for example, citizens of Palau, Micronesia, Marshall Islands).
- Spouses and children of persons working in diplomatic institutions and international agencies.
- People who live in the United States on employment-based visas.
- Persons who have family visas as a bride or a groom of a US citizen.
Filling a form — step by step
Do not write anything in the upper field. This place is completed by the employee of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Start with the line “I am applying for”. Tick the suitable point. If you apply not for the first time, already have the work permit but its annual validity has expired, tick “Renewal of my permission to accept employment”. If you lose this document, select the “Replacement” option.
Then fill out each item starting from the first one. You will have to indicate the following information:
- Name. Write everything exactly like in your passport.
- Other names and surnames if you have ever changed them. Women write their maiden name. If you do not have the one, write NONE.
- Current mailing address in the United States.
- Country of your citizenship.
- Date and place (city and country) of your birth.
- Family status.
- If you ever had a social security number (SNN), indicate it. If you did not, write NONE.
- Alien Registration Number which you got by migration status or number from the I-94 form.
- Also, you are asked if you have ever applied for a work permit in the US. Mark “Yes” or “No”. If the answer is positive, you need to specify the filing date, to which office the documents were submitted and what was the result.
- Date and place (city, state) of your last entry into the United States.
Status of your stay in the US that is the basis for the crossing the country’s border for the last time. It can be a tourist (B1/B2), a student (F1) status and so on.
- Your current status owing to which you are in the United States. In fact, this item duplicates the previous one. Since the final decision on permanent stay in the country has not been accepted yet for persons who are eligible for a work permit, the reason for their being in the US does not change from the moment of arrival. For example, if you crossed the border on a tourist visa, you should write B1/B2 at this item of the form.
- Category, that is grounds on which a person applies for a work permit in the United States. You will need to select the appropriate option according to your migration status. The category can be determined by looking at the instruction for Form I-765. For example, people waiting for political asylum interviews indicate the type (c)(8).
- For 24 months extension of practical training in the company, representatives of the category (c)(3)(C) indicate their degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics, the name of the employer and identification number of the company where they will pass this practice.
- There is also a separate item for category (c)(26) – spouses of people who are in the United States on a working visa H-1B. They need to indicate the number received by the spouse on the H-1B visa.
At the end of the form, the first signature is yours. Put the date of filling and your phone number below.
The second signature is put by a lawyer or official person who helped you fill out the document. If you worked with a lawyer, he also must file the G-28 form in which his data should be indicated. It should be sent in an envelope with all your documents.
For each member of the family, Form I-765 is filled out separately. All papers can be sent together. On behalf of children under 14 years old, the form is signed by one of their parents or a legal representative.
Cost of the I-765 Form
To date, the payment is $ 410. This figure may change annually.Some categories are exempt from paying the fee while filing the I-765 form for the first time.
If you want to additionally subscribe to an electronic notification to know when your application will be accepted and how it’s progressed (it’s better to do it), then you need to file one more small form – G-1145, E-Notification of Application / Petition Acceptance. You will only need to indicate your name, surname, email and phone number at the very bottom. Put this immigration form at the first place in the envelope, then Form I-765 and all copies of your documents.